When you partner with energy suppliers you can get the best rates on gas and electric and valuable tips to help you save money and energy on your utilities.
In part one, we shared some energy saving tips that are practical and digestible — you don’t have to make major changes to save energy, it begins with small steps!
At Olympus Energy in Alberta, we want to help you better manage your energy consumption. Join us in part two of this series (don’t miss part one here), and learn even more tips to guide you in your energy savings.
More Energy Saving Tips!
Energy Conservation Tip #7 – Wash only full loads.
Whether you’re doing a load of laundry or using the dishwasher, it is imperative to only run full loads. This way you’re avoiding to have to do multiple, smaller loads more frequently and using additional water and energy.
Energy Conservation Tip #8 – Utilize your window blinds and curtains.
Window coverings are some of the best, most practical ways to save energy. It’s quite simple: close your blinds and curtains in your home in the summer to keep your home cool, and open them in the daytime to let the warm rays penetrate in the winter months.
Energy Conservation Tip #9 – Implement power strips.
Instead of using every, single outlet for your electronics, invest in a couple of power strips to better consolidate them — from here you can easily turn it off, to save energy when they are not in use.
Energy Conservation Tip #10 – Insulate your heating ducts.
This is a common energy hack that is overlooked, but when you think about it, it’s completely practical. Warm air is moving through these ducts, so why not use insulation to keep the heat in? Genius, right?! 20 to 30 percent of heat is lost in leaks and heat travel, so insulating your heating ducts will vastly improve your utility bill.
Energy Conservation Tip #11 – Implement low-flow shower heads.
Low-flow shower heads are great, and not at all what people expect. They’re not a dribble of water — they are very similar to traditional shower heads, and you may not even be able to tell the difference. Save more water and energy when you make the switch.
Energy Conservation Tip #12 – Switch out traditional light bulbs.
If you are still using traditional light bulbs, you are wasting energy. LEDs and CFLs use 20 to 25 percent of the energy that traditional light bulbs do, and, they’ve come a long way. They are no longer stark, institutional-like, and harsh lights, they come in a variety of tones for more of a relaxed and warm feel.
Another reason to ditch the traditional, incandescent light bulb, is 90 percent of their energy is emitted as heat, so that leaves only 10 percent as actual light.
Energy Conservation Tip #13 – Install a programmable thermostat
If your home doesn’t have a programmable thermostat, now is the time to install one! The more you can manage your home’s temperature, the better you can manage your energy. By decreasing the temperature by just 10 to 15 degrees, you can save up to 15 percent annually.
Energy Conservation Tip #14 – Don’t block radiators or heating vents.
Not covering your radiator or heating vents may seem like a no-brainer, but you’d be amazed at how they get blocked. Furniture covers vents and radiators, stifling the heat you need to heat your home. The room then cannot get up to temp, forcing your system to work harder and use more energy. Instead, keep these areas free and clear of furniture and clutter, so you can effectively and efficiently heat your home.
Energy Conservation Tip #13 – Utilize your microwave.
People have mixed feelings about the microwave but for reheating food, it can save you a good deal of energy. Instead of using your oven to reheat leftovers, use less energy when you use your microwave.
Saving energy is in the little things, so be mindful of when and how long you run water or appliances. As you begin to make small changes, it will greatly lower your energy consumption and save you money on gas and electric.
To partner with us and learn even more energy saving tips, connect with us today!